I feel that it is important that we take time for ourselves to recharge. When I say that, I mean more than just finding the ten minutes a day to have some quiet time or even an hour a day to exercise (although both of these things help).
I mean that we are able to fully disengage from our main line of work for a week.
I just did this – I took a vacation!
Yes, I checked in on e-mail a few times (and even posted here), but for the most part, I took the time off and enjoyed my family, relaxed, forgot about real life and absolutely enjoyed myself.
I recommend this to everyone.
I think it also:
- Recharges us – coming back from vacation, I feel much more motivated to do work. It feels new again.
- Refocuses us – time off allows us to refocus our energies. I think that it provides a perspective that allows us to better identify the important tasks that we need to do. It helps us prioritize!
- Enlarges us – we come back with new experiences that help us look at things differently and I would say more creatively. We tend to grow in different ways while we are on vacation. This gives us a broader
- Encourages us – this time for ourselves makes us realize that work is an important part of who and what we are. I tend to miss it when on vacation (or at least parts of it).
- Reminds us – of the reason that we work – both the intrinsic aspects that make us appreciate the work we do as well as the extrinsic aspects that provide us the means to take a vacation. It makes you realize that there is more to life than just work – but how important work is to our life.
- Inspires us – I had the opportunity to spend a week with one of the nicest, most thoughtful, most resilient people I’ve ever had the opportunity to meet. His life story and his attitude on life inspired me. We get the opportunity when we take time off to be inspired by any number of different elements.
- Connects us – to new people, new places, new ideas. We come back from our time away with more connections that can serve us well in the upcoming days, months, years…
So make sure that you take time off to recharge yourself. Make sure that you don’t shortchange your vacation, or miss it, or do too much work over it. Remember…the time off is important to our overall motivation and well being!
I’m sure there are many more positive aspects to taking time off. Please let us know your thoughts on this.
Questions or comments? Use the form below or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Like this content? Please share or join our bulletin for more great monthly insights.